February 21st was national sticky bun day. Yes, it is a real things! In honor of such a wonderful day I had grand plans to make homemade sticky buns with extra caramel sauce for dinner. Unfortunately, my plans stayed just as that: plans. Three little kiddos off of their sleeping schedule made for an emotional day at our house so before I knew it it was 5:30, Jared was walking through the door, and dinner hadn’t been thought of since 9:15 that morning. Needing a few minutes break I let Jared put down his work bag, gave him a kis, then handed him the library books and movies that were a day past due, got coats and shoes on my oldest two and sent them out the door with their dad. I buckled Tag in his high chair with some of those Keebler butter crackers (best crackers EVER) and then turned to open my fridge to see what I could make for dinner only to realize my grocery list still on the fridge which meant that not only had I not gotten cinnamon rolls made but I also had not gone grocery shopping. Figures. So here I am looking at my last half gallon of milk, last 2 eggs, completely empty second shelf, and a door full of condiments.
Pinterest it is. I searched easy cinnamon rolls and nothing would be done by the time my husband and children returned. That’s when I saw it- Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread from Danelle at Let’s Dish. I didn’t have everything the recipe required like a tube of fridge cinnamon rolls or maple syrup but I did have a roll of regular flaky biscuit dough I was using for dinner the next night and I knew how to make homemade maple syrup from scratch (Cookin’ Up North’s recipe). Well, tonight’s dinner was on the line so I figured I would figure out tomorrow, well, tomorrow. And as a little side confession, I still didn’t have dinner ready when my husband and kids got home but there was 10 minutes left on the timer so we had just enough time to get shoes and coats off, set the table, and make juice before everything went onto the table!
I quickly got to work using Danelle’s recipe as a baseline. All-in-all, this was a total hit with everyone! My kids all had seconds, Jared ate half of the dish, and I got a few bites in too before it was all gobbled up! I cannot wait to make it again!
Here is my recipe when all was said and done!
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (17.5 oz.) can flaky refrigerator rolls
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 c. light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 8×8 inch baking pan or a 9-in. glass pie dish. If you have a bunt cake pan USE THAT!
- In a large zip-top bag or mixing bowl, mix together granulated sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Next, stir together the melted butter, and corn syrup and vanilla. If the mixture is too think, stir on low heat until well mixed.
- Cut cinnamon rolls into quarters and place the pieces in the bag with the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Toss to coat well. Arrange the cinnamon roll pieces in the prepared pan.
- Pour butter mixture evenly over the cinnamon roll pieces. Give a little stir to coat all pieces.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven. Flip over onto plate so the cinnamon caramel mixture can coat the monkey bread. Let cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!
This is super yummy if you make a little glaze to go over it. I just use 1 c. powdered sugar, 1 tbsp butter, 1/4 tsp. vanilla, and enough milk to mix it all together (I start with 1 tbsp. and add from there).
Featured Image from Danelle at Let’s Dish.